Chelsea defender David Luiz has signed a new two-year contract at the club, running until 2021.
The Brazilian, 32, is out of contract at the end of June meaning he could have left for free in the summer.
Luiz made his 48th Chelsea appearance of the season in Thursday’s penalty shootout win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League semi-finals.
“I am so happy to be here and to have this opportunity to stay,” the centre-back said.
“I love this club and I still have the ambition of a young player.”
Luiz joined Chelsea from Benfica in January 2011 but left to join Paris St-Germain in 2014 before returning to Stamford Bridge for £34m in 2016.
“It means a lot to reach another European final, and we still have the opportunity to finish in the top three of the Premier League this season and I will continue to try to do my best to help the team,” Luiz added.
The mother of a woman who fell to her death from a balcony has lost a High Court challenge against a decision not to prosecute her daughter’s boyfriend.
Jourdain John-Baptiste was 22 when she fell from her fourth-floor flat in Enfield, north London, in August 2015.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) brought no charges against her boyfriend, which lawyers for her family claimed was “irrational”.
But Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett said the CPS decision was “reasonable”.
After the hearing, her mother Tracey John-Baptiste said: “We have lost my beautiful daughter and now we have lost the chance to get justice.
“Even those against prosecuting in the CPS recognise this is a finely-balanced decision.
“Why not put this to the jury who can hear all the witnesses and decide?”
The boyfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was in the flat with Ms John-Baptiste at the time of the fall and last year her mother told the BBC witnesses said they heard the couple arguing.
Mrs John-Baptiste asked for the CPS decision not to prosecute to be reviewed and was told initially there ought to be a prosecution, which a senior prosecutor revised.
At an earlier hearing in London, the family’s barrister Karon Monaghan QC said there was “ample evidence” to support a prosecution, and there was a “threatening” text message on Ms John-Baptiste’s phone from her boyfriend saying: “When I see u again I’ll drop you.”
Ms Monaghan said the prosecutor who made the final decision based it on an “unevidenced and gendered assumption” that Ms John-Baptiste may have slipped in a state of “high emotion”.
But judges, who were asked to quash the decision, said it was “impossible” to conclude the decision was “wrong in law”.
Lord Burnett said a jury would be invited to say “the only realistic explanation for Ms John-Baptiste’s fall was that she was fleeing from a threat of violence”, which he said all involved accepted “was one possible explanation”.
“But the question for the decision-makers was whether it was more likely than not that a jury would reach that conclusion at the end of a criminal trial,” he added.
A CPS spokesman said: “We understand how difficult this has been for the family. We considered all the information given to us by the police investigation.
“We can only prosecute an offence when there is sufficient evidence to do so.
“The original decision has now been tested by a Victim’s Right to Review scheme (VRR) and now by a High Court hearing.”
A man arrested over the abduction and rape of three women in and around London is being investigated for other attacks involving nine further victims.
Joseph McCann, 34, was arrested in Congleton, Cheshire, after two girls, aged 14, were abducted in the town.
He is being investigated over attacks in Cheshire, Manchester and Lancashire, on victims aged between 11 and 71.
Det Ch Insp Katherine Goodwin, of the Metropolitan Police, said the attacks were “grotesque and horrifying”.
The officer urged other victims to come forward and said police wanted to hear from anyone who had been approached by Mr McCann or in contact with him between February and May.
Mr McCann was found in a tree in Smithy Lane on Sunday evening and arrested after a stand-off with police negotiators.
He had been spotted in the town after two girls were forced into a car that afternoon.
Met detectives are now investigating him in connection with a number of other attacks earlier that day.
These include the false imprisonment of a woman in Haslingden, Lancashire, in which a teenage girl and a boy, 11, were raped and the abduction and rape of a 71-year-old in Bury, Manchester.
The suspect is also being investigated over the abduction of two 13-year-old boys and the abduction and sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl in Heywood, Manchester, at about 15:30 BST on Sunday.
Det Ch Insp Goodwin said the attacks were believed to have taken place between 21 April and 5 May.
“Detectives from the Met continue to lead on this investigation and are working very closely with policing counterparts where he is suspected to have carried out further offences,” she said.
Mr McCann was also wanted for questioning over the abduction and rape of a 21-year-old woman at knifepoint in Watford, Hertfordshire, in the early hours of 21 April.
The Met Police launched an appeal to find Mr McCann after two women in their 20s were snatched off streets in London and raped in a car in London on 25 April.
AFC Wimbledon guaranteed another season of League One football after a goalless draw at bottom side Bradford City.
Bradford’s Kelvin Mellor and Anthony O’Connor had the best chances of a quiet first half as Dons keeper Aaron Ramsdale made some smart saves.
Wimbledon came to life after the break as Joe Pigott had an effort cleared off the line and Mitch Pinnock shot wide from the edge of the box.
The Dons’ run of just one loss in their final 12 games ensured a fourth successive season in the third tier as they avoided relegation by virtue of goal difference from Plymouth Argyle.
It is a remarkable escape for the club who were 10 points from safety fewer than three months ago – but just two defeats in that time saw them climb the table and move out of the bottom four last week after a 2-1 win over Wycombe.
Meanwhile, Bradford’s disastrous season came to an end having gone through three managers and won just 11 of their 46 matches to conclude the campaign nine points from safety.
A boy who flicked a piece of cheese at a teenager with a dairy allergy who later died did not mean to harm him, an inquest has heard.
Karanbir Cheema, 13, who also had other allergies and asthma, suffered from a severe reaction at his school in west London on 28 June 2017.
He was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition and died two weeks later.
An inquest into Karanbir’s death heard a piece of cheese landed on his neck.
A boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told Poplar Coroner’s Court he did not know why he threw the cheese, describing it as “immature behaviour.”
The court heard he was given it by a friend during break time at William Perkin Church of England High School in Ealing.
He then threw the piece of cheese at Karanbir – but said he was not specifically his target.
“After that he just said ‘I am allergic to cheese’,” the boy said.
“I apologised and went to class after.”
The boy admitted he did not know how serious allergies could be and thought they could simply cause a rash or fever.
“I didn’t mean to hurt him and obviously I feel bad now”, the boy said.
In a statement, Karanbir’s mother Rina said her son was “extremely diligent” at managing his allergies.
Informed that cheese had been put down his neck, she said a consultant at the hospital questioned this because contact through the skin would not cause such a bad reaction.
Giving evidence, Rajvnder Saini who worked at the school, said an Epipen kept in the school for Karanbir had expired in July 2016.
An email was sent to the boy’s mother in February 2017 to inform her, the court heard.
The inquest continues.
Police cars following three teenagers on a moped were told repeatedly to pull back before it crashed and one of the teenagers died, an inquest heard.
Tyereece Johnson, 16, died on 17 July 2017 after being thrown from the moped, which was believed to have been involved in an attempted robbery.
Inner West London Coroner’s Court also heard a pursuit across south London had not been authorised.
A report by the police watchdog will be released at the inquest’s close.
The trio were being tracked by a police helicopter feeding information on their location to cars on the ground in the early hours of 16 July, the inquest heard.
The court was told that on at least two occasions, a female officer could be heard saying over the radio: “Can you try not to follow the vehicle too closely please?”
PC Lee Hunt, a tactical pursuit adviser on the night of the crash, told the court he did not authorise a pursuit, because the trio were not wearing helmets and due to the risk to other road users and pedestrians.
He advised that police cars attempted to position themselves ahead of the moped and lay down a stinger device to bring it to a halt.
He also told the inquest he was unaware there were two police cars following the moped.
Footage presented to the inquest showed the moped and its hooded riders weaving a convoluted route from Clapham Common to Wimbledon in south London, before crashing into the back of the police car and being flung in different directions.
The inquest heard that Tyereece died of his injuries in hospital the following day.
Tyereece’s mother Samantha Cohen described the teenager as a “brilliant” footballer and Chelsea fan, who was scouted by the Royal Ballet, according to a statement read by coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe.
It added Ms Cohen and her son moved to Croydon from north London after she became concerned he had “fallen into the wrong crowd”.
The inquest is scheduled to last for eight days.
Arsenal will clinch their first Women’s Super League title since 2012 if they beat Brighton on Sunday.
The Gunners – English women’s football’s most decorated club despite that wait – are four points above Manchester City with two games to go.
“We didn’t have the consistency in recent years. This year we’ve had the full package,” defender Leah Williamson told BBC Sport.
A crowd of around 3,000 are set to watch the match at the Amex Stadium.
Williamson said the Gunners “desperately” want to add to their 14 English league crowns, which includes two WSL titles and 12 Women’s Premier League trophies.
“It would be great if we could win it because this football club dominated for so many years,” the 22-year-old said.
“We haven’t been close enough for the past few years. Everybody is relishing the opportunity.
“It’s definitely not haunting us. It’s very exciting and we’ll see what we can do.”
Arsenal’s long wait for silverware
Williamson, who has been with Arsenal since the age of nine, recalls watching on in awe as an academy player as the London club won nine consecutive league titles between 2004 and 2012.
“I watched all those [idols], Rachel Yankey, Faye White, Alex Scott, Kelly Smith, Jayne Ludlow – I could go on and on – lift the trophy so easily. That’s what it looked like for so many years,” said Williamson.
“But now I realise it was true dominance.
“It’s sad that it’s taken this long for us to even be in the position where we might take home that trophy, but hopefully we can do it for Arsenal.”
The Gunners narrowly lost February’s Women’s League Cup final against Man City on penalties, but Williamson says they never felt sorry for themselves.
Rather, that defeat has helped motivate the squad.
“It’s not a sad story. That wasn’t good enough for what we want to achieve,” the England international continued.
“We’re a football club that needs to be winning trophies to meet our standards, so to miss out on that piece of silverware and be so close, it’s not good enough.
“We need that trophy in our cabinet if we want to have a successful season. Once that [the League Cup] was over and that wasn’t coming home, we needed to make sure the league was our priority to bring home silverware this year.”
A bumper crowd at Brighton
Should Arsenal slip up against Brighton, second-placed Manchester City – who face Arsenal on the final day of the season – could capitalise. Nick Cushing’s City side face relegated Yeovil later in the day.
Sunday’s fixture is also a significant one for the Seagulls, playing at the home of their men’s side.
BBC Sport understands the hosts could see a new club-record crowd for a women’s game on Sunday.
Brighton, who were promoted to the WSL last summer, have already secured their safety in the division, but manager Hope Powell still wants to see improvements.
“It would be great if we could try and upset them [Arsenal] or at least make it as difficult as possible,” former England boss Powell told BBC Sussex.
“It’s more about performances now. We’re looking for players to perform at this level.
“Arsenal will be a really big test of us, just to see where we are. We want to strive to be the best and Arsenal are the best.
“So we need to understand how much further away we are from them.”
A climate protest that has disrupted parts of London for nine days is to end on Thursday, organisers say.
Police cleared Extinction Rebellion’s final road block in Marble Arch earlier and arrested 22 people, bringing the total to 1,088 since protests began.
Specialist equipment has been deployed in Parliament Square to remove protesters camping in trees.
Makeshift camps at Oxford Circus and Waterloo Bridge were removed earlier in the week.
One protester told the BBC “This is our last stand”.
Organisers said a closing ceremony would be held at 18:00 BST on Thursday at Speaker’s Corner, Hyde Park.
“We will leave the physical locations but a space for truth-telling has been opened up in the world,” they said in a statement.
“We know we have disrupted your lives. We do not do this lightly. We only do this because this is an emergency.”
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said he welcomed the decision to cease the protests, which had been a “huge challenge for our over-stretched and under-resourced Metropolitan Police”.
So far 69 people have been charged in connection with the protest, the Met Police said.
Police have extended restrictions at the Marble Arch site, preventing protesters congregating on the road, until Saturday afternoon.
A senior Scotland Yard officer has warned that officers will require new powers to deal with demonstrations on a similar scale in the future.
Giving evidence to the parliamentary Human Rights Committee, Commander Adrian Usher, head of the Metropolitan Police’s protection command, said it should not be enough for a protest to be “peaceful” to be considered lawful.
“We will conduct a sober review of our tactics against recent protests, but I think it is likely to say the legislation associated with policing protest is quite dated and that policing and protest has moved on and that legislation should follow suit,” he said.
Earlier, Extinction Rebellion Youth handed a letter addressed to MPs, to Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott.
In response, Ms Abbott said MPs needed to come together to host a “broad conversation” on bringing the country’s greenhouse gas emissions down.
Campaigners have issued three core demands to the government: to “tell the truth about climate change”; to reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025; and to create a citizens’ assembly to oversee progress.
Elliott Cuciurean, 20, believed to be the first climate activist successfully prosecuted over the fresh wave of protests, was spared a fine at a court hearing on Tuesday.
More actions are expected in the future.
Dominant Aston Villa beat struggling Millwall to strengthen their grip on a play-off position with a record-breaking 10th successive win.
Jonathan Kodjia stabbed home Anwar El Ghazi’s cross from close range to break a club record that has stood since 1910.
Kodjia, El Ghazi, Jack Grealish and substitute Andre Green all missed chances to make the margin of victory more comfortable.
The win extends fifth-placed Villa’s cushion over seventh place – now occupied by Middlesbrough after their defeat by Nottingham Forest – to eight points.
Villa’s 2-1 defeat at The Den in October’s corresponding fixture – their sole game under the caretaker stewardship of Kevin MacDonald following Steve Bruce’s sacking – left them languishing 15th in the Championship.
They continued to hover around mid-table for much of the early part of Dean Smith’s reign but their stunning recent form has all-but secured a play-off spot in a season most Villa fans were preparing to write off.
That successful sequence has owed much to the creativity of Grealish – since his return from injury – and the goals of Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham, but it was the supporting cast that shone against Millwall.
With Abraham sidelined by a shoulder issue, Ivory Coast forward Kodjia made the most of a rare start, his first in two months, with a poacher’s finish set up by the excellent El Ghazi to ensure this Villa side’s place in club folklore.
They should have won more comfortably but Millwall keeper David Martin produced a string of second-half saves, two from El Ghazi and one each from Grealish and Green, while Kodjia prodded wide after a fine solo run.
The visitors – three points above 22nd-placed Rotherham in the fight to avoid the final Championship relegation spot – could have snatched a point but Jake Cooper headed wide as Villa keeper Jed Steer failed to meet a free-kick.
Derby County moved into the Championship play-off places as Harry Wilson’s stoppage-time double gave them victory over QPR.
The Rams had looked like they would miss the chance to move above Middlesbrough and Bristol City until Luke Freeman fouled Jayden Bogle in the area in the third minute of added time.
Wilson held his nerve to put his spot-kick beyond the reach of Rangers keeper Joe Lumley and into the bottom left-hand corner.
And the on-loan Liverpool man sealed all three points with a breakaway goal in the 11th minute of stoppage time to put Frank Lampard’s side sixth, ahead of Boro on goal difference.
More to follow.